Ok folks, let me give you a rundown on how this community actually works.
1. I post saying there is going to be an exchange. I usually do this both here and in AMA proper. I set dates for when you have to have your confirmation in by, when buddies will be sent and when items must be sent.
2. I get a fuckload of people joining the community/saying they want to participate.
3. I go through the list of people who say they want to participate and make sure I have their addresses.
4. I post a list of all those who have said they want to participate asking if I have left anyone out or if there are any stragglers.
5. After the list is confirmed I buddy people up using LJ PM. It would really, REALLY help if people would turn off the security during these few days as it gets really irritating having to go back through and find email addresses and chase people up.
6. I make multiple posts counting down the days until items must be sent out. I usually do one a week before as well as the day before. I usually ask for people to post in a screened post when they have sent out their items. This protects both me and you from people getting really stroppy when their items haven't been received.
7. When the end date has come and gone I make another post asking people to say when they got their item, thanking their buddy and, if you are so inclined, a photograph of said item.
I do have a life outside of LJ (and a very active child) and I don't have the extra time to run around after people. I like doing the exchanges but not when it becomes a headache. This is why I stopped it last time. I had people who would join and then not speak up when exchanges were announced and then get all stroppy with me. I had people not send out their items. Poor Marcio was shafted two or three times in a row.
I would appreciate if people would actually put this community on their flist, or read it from time to time, if you are going to participate. These exchanges only work if people participate and pay attention. I try to do my best to post both here and in AMA proper but I don't want to clog up the main community because people haven't read this one.
I apologise if this has come across as bitchy but exchanges can be a huge headache for me and I wish they weren't. I know everyone else has a life as well but if you cannot commit to sending out a postcard or some other small item, please do not ask to participate. It isn't fair to me or to the person to whom I buddy you.
Also, and I am going to put this in bold...THE NEXT EXCHANGE WILL BE COMING UP SOON AND IT WILL BE A SECRET SANTA! GIFTS ARE TO BE NO MORE THAN $10 AND SHOULD BE WRAPPED. I AM ANTICIPATING THIS EXCHANGE TO START SOMETIME AROUND THE 1ST OF NOVEMBER AND ITEMS TO BE SENT OUT NO LATER THAN THE 25TH TO MAKE SURE THEY GET TO THEIR INTENDED DESTINATION IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS (OR WHATEVER OTHER HOLIDAY YOU MAY CELEBRATE).
More information to follow in the next few days.